- Media Matters for America is one of the chief proponents of the ‘fake news’ narrative
- Media Matters and related organizations are engaged in numerous counts of financial fraud and campaign finance abuses
- Help us put a stop to Media Matters and their attack on our 1st Amendment rights
Media Matters for America is the mainstream media
Media Matters for America claims to be a nonprofit research center dedicated to monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative ‘misinformation’ in the media.
But they’re much more than that.
“We were pretty much writing their prime time,” a former Media Matters employee told the Daily Caller. “Virtually all the mainstream media was using our stuff.”
A search of “Fake News” on Media Matters’ website produces 91 results, with most of the content found produced after the November 8th elections. By their own admission, the mainstream media relies on the content Media Matters pushes.
It’s not a stretch to claim that much of the hoopla we’ve witnessed about ‘fake news’ can be traced back to Media Matters.
Manufactured outrage over ‘fake news’ is an assault on the 1st amendment
The First Amendment guarantees us the right to a free press. Media Matters’ efforts to combat ‘fake news’ is an assault on this right.
Prominent politicians, such as Hillary Clinton, are now calling for congressional action against independent journalists exercising their right to a free press.
“It’s a danger that must be addressed,” Clinton said on December 8th. “Bipartisan legislation is making its way through Congress to boost the government’s response to foreign propaganda, and Silicon Valley is starting to grapple with the challenge and threat of fake news.”
This should be seen as a frightening development for anyone who values the voice independent journalists.
Help us put a stop to Media Matters
Media Matters, one of the chief proponents of stopping ‘fake news’ has a lot to hide. In fact, an investigation conducted by the Citizens Audit has uncovered numerous counts of financial fraud and campaign finance violations at the offices of Media Matters.
Media Matters isn’t 1 organization – it’s a conglomerate of 14 separate entities
Media Matters shares office space with 6 non-profits, 3 Super PACs, one 527-committee, one LLC, one joint fundraising committee, and one paid solicitor. All aspects of the American political scene are represented in the conglomerate:
- Media Matters – oversees conservative media
- American Bridge – oversees and tracks conservative politicians
- Correct the Record – oversees and corrects conservative communities on the internet
- Franklin Education Forum – funds training for progressive media pundits and politicians
- Center for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington DC – funds legal action against conservative groups
- The Bonner Group – the paid solicitor that provides funds to the conglomerate.
Media Matters is committing financial fraud
In what looks to be a money laundering or a skimming scheme, Media Matters is utilizing the Bonner Group to pass money in and out of the conglomerate. After each pass, the Bonner Group pockets a 12.5% commission.
In one example, we analyzed how Media Matters for America spent $1,062,857 in 2014.
- Media Matters would received $1,062,857
- The Bonner Group earned a $132,857 commission
- Media Matters retained $930,000
- Next, Media Matters donated $930,000 to the Franklin Education Forum
- The Bonner Group earned $116,250 commission
- The Franklin Education Forum retained $813,750
- The Franklin Education Forum then donated $813,750 to The Franklin Forum
- The Bonner Group earned $101,718 commission
- The Franklin Forum retained $712,031
In the end, the Bonner Group pocketed $350,825.
That’s not all
Media Matters is also filing fraudulent tax returns.
American Bridge 21st Century makes rental payments to Media Matters, but Media Matters does not report that rental income to the IRS.
The Media Matters conglomerate illegally coordinated with the Clinton Campaign
Media Matters, a nonprofit organization, is prohibited from directly participating in any political campaign.
They violated this prohibition when they leaked Donald Trump’s convention speech to the Clinton Campaign on July 21st.
Per IRS regulations, the penalty for a nonprofit participating in a political campaign is the revocation of the nonprofit’s tax-exempt status.
Correct the Record Super PAC illegally coordinated with the Clinton Campaign on 17 separate occasions
Correct the Record Super PAC provided illegal in-kind contributions to the Clinton Campaign on 17 separate occasions. Highlights include:
- Commissioned a private polling firm to conduct polls that showed Clinton winning a Democratic Debate in December 2015.
- Staffed a “30-person war room” to defend Clinton during hearings before the House Select Committee on Benghazi, to blast reporters with “46 research-fueled press releases, fact-checks, reports, videos, and other multimedia releases during the hearing.”
- Paid staff to “develop relationships with Republicans” and “sleuth out confidential information from the Trump campaign,” and to distribute that information to reporters.
- Paid a consulting firm “to help oversee an aggressive surrogate booking program, connecting regional and national surrogates with radio and television news outlets across the country in support of Hillary Clinton”.
We are calling for an audit of the media matters conglomerate
Media Matters has done all of this while keeping their tax exempt status. It’s unacceptable.
Media Matters needs to be audited – they’ve done too much damage already, and don’t intend to stop anytime soon.
We are calling on the IRS and the Department of Justice to open an investigation into Media Matters. Please consider adding your signature to our petition.
More research is on the way
Despite all the findings we’ve uncovered, it barely scratches the surface in comparison to what we’ve recently uncovered.
After months of searching, we’ve uncovered Media Matters’ audited financial statements from 2007 to 2014.
Not to be confused with an IRS audit, these documents have been prepared by Media Matters’ accountants and lawyers.
There’s so much information hidden in these documents. We look forward to exposing what’s contained within these statements in the coming days.